5 Natural Ways to Keep Ants Away
The warmer the weather gets, the peskier the pests are! Now that we’re more than halfway through spring, the ants are out in full force. Do you know where they’re headed? If you guessed the kitchen in your home — you’re correct!
- Seal Cracks – Ants are the tiniest of creatures that can fit through the smallest of cracks. Inspect your home and seal any cracks in doors, windows, and the overall foundation. As an added bonus, by doing this you’ll save money on your monthly energy bills.
- Vinegar – Cleaning with vinegar is one of the oldest household secrets. Not only is it a natural and effective cleaner, but it also blocks the ants’ pheromones. The scent is so strong that it will deter the ants from telling other ants where the food supply is.
- Peppermint – If there’s one smell that ants hate more than vinegar, it’s peppermint. Head to the store and grab some essential peppermint oils so you can give your home a quick wipe down. Place a few drops of this oil on cotton balls and place them in more troublesome areas of the house.
- White Powder – Other ant repellents include baby powder and chalk. The talcum powder located in both products will keep ants away from your home. Sprinkle some baby powder near common ant entrances or draw a line of chalk around this same entrance.
- Prevention – The best way to keep ants out of your home is to not give them a reason to come in the first place. Clean up after yourself, sweep every day, and keep food contained to the kitchen. A home with crumbs everywhere is an ant’s dream!
When ants head on over to your house for dinner there’s not gonna be just one or two — there’s gonna be hundreds if not thousands! When a few ants turn into an infestation, break out your phone and give Knockout Pest Control a call. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.