How to Avoid Being Bitten By Pests
Being bitten by a pesky insect is not fun by any means. Not only are some painful, but the effects of them can last for days (sometimes longer depending on how your body reacts). With a few weeks of summer still left, here’s how you can avoid being bitten by pests.
- Avoid any areas that are heavily wooded or have unmaintained vegetation.
- Always wear long sleeved shirts, pants, and close-toed shoes when hiking or walking near a heavily wooded area.
- During hikes, stay on the beaten path in the center of the trail. Wandering off course or too close to the edges are areas where ticks live and wait for hosts to pass by.
- Mow your lawn and maintain any vegetation on your property on a weekly basis. This can help cut down the population of ticks near your home.
- Inspect yourself, your pets, and your kids for ticks after being outside in the yard. If you find a tick, pull it out with tweezers at a straight angle until it pops out.
- During outdoor parties and picnics, keep garbage and opened drinks covered.
- If you know you’re going to be outside for an extended period of time, avoid wearing sweet-smelling perfume or cologne.
- Inspect each window and door screen on your home to ensure there are no holes that would allow a bee or wasp to enter through.
- Do not swat at these winged stingers. While a bee might not try to sting you, a wasp that becomes angry will make stinging you it’s only priority.
- If you are allergic and happen to get stung by a bee or wasp, seek immediate medical attention.
- When the sun sets and rises, this is when mosquitoes become most active. So the next time you’re at a party that goes from the daytime into the night, head inside during that transition.
- Use citronella candles and other insect repellents containing DEET or picaridin.
- Inspect each window and door screen on your home to ensure there are no holes that would allow mosquito to enter through.
- Remove all standing water from your property. This means clean out your gutters, remove empty planters, fill large holes in your yard, etc.
- If bitten, do not scratch! Apply a hydrocortisone cream or take an oral antihistamine.
Being bitten by bugs is not a fun time, so apply these tips and live bite-free! When your home or property becomes overrun by an infestation of pests, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.