Quick Tips to Keep Rodents Away This Winter
Did you know that rodents infest an estimated 21 million homes in the U.S. each and every winter? With the frigid temperatures of winter in full effect, these pests are currently looking for a warm place to live. And would you look at that — your house is exactly what they’ve been searching for!
Why Worry About Rodents?
Mice and rats aren’t the cleanest of pests (shocking, we know) and can be covered in bacteria, fleas, ticks, and lice. Thanks to rodents’ poor hygiene, it’s easy for food within the household to become contaminated with diseases like Salmonella and Hantavirus. Not only do rodents pose a threat to your health, but they can also destroy your home by gnawing through your home’s wooden structure. These furry little fellas are also known for chewing through electrical wiring, which can lead to costly house fires.
Rodent Repelling Tips
- Use caulking, insulation, and metal mesh to seal any cracks, gaps, and holes on the exterior of your home. Common places include siding, foundation, and window frames.
- Do an inspection of your home’s electrical system, looking for possible gnaw marks and wiring damage.
- Keep boxes off of the attic and basement floor to prevent rodents from using this as their housing. Replace all cardboard boxes with hard plastic storage containers and place them on a shelving unit.
- Trim branches of trees that come close to touching your home or hang over your roof. Rodents can climb trees and use their branches as a bridge to gain access to the upper levels of your home.
- Keep the kitchen clean of spills, crumbs, and dirty dishes. Place all garbage in scented bags and remember to take it out every other day.
As long as you have the heat on in your home this winter, there will always be a chance of developing a rodent infestation. When mice or rats do find their way into your home, act fast and call the pest management professionals at Knockout Pest Control. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 244-7378.