The Fall Guide to Keeping Pests Away From Your Home
Discovering an insect or rodent in your home can literally take the breath right out of you.
Unfortunately, fall is the season where many pests will begin looking for a new home for the winter.
Make it a priority to keep an infestation of pests out of your humble abode.
Phase 1: Strengthen Your Front Lines
Insects and rodents both look for shelter, water, and food when picking their new home for the winter. Since your house has all of the above, you need to seal your home from these outside invaders.
- Add weatherstripping to all drafty or ill-fitting windows and doors.
- Apply caulk to windows, doors, and any other surface where there are small cracks, gaps, and holes.
- Apply insulation to any open gaps where pipes lead to and from the house.
Phase 2: Prepare Your Defense
Once your house has been sealed, it’s time to focus on how you can go on the defensive.
- Keep a tidy house by sweeping floors, vacuuming carpets, wiping down counters, and throwing food out before it goes bad.
- Inspect your home’s plumbing, looking for any possible leaks. This moisture will draw pests close to the leak where an infestation could easily occur.
- To manage a current infestation (or prevent a future one), invest in a yearly pest management plan that will include monthly inspections and treatments.
Phase 3: Cut Off Loose Ends
There are a lot of daily habits that can attract pests to your home. Realizing these habits and working on breaking them can help reduce your chances of an infestation.
- Pests love hiding in clutter. Avoid having massive piles of things (books, stacks of paper, clothing, etc.) around the house.
- Clean as you go. If you make a mess, don’t leave it be or use the legendary “sock mop.” Grab paper towels and all-purpose cleaner to clean the affected area. This goes for spilled drinks, food crumbs, and any other messes that could attract pests.
- Keep the wood away. For those with wood-burning stoves, do not leave (usually damp) firewood stacked against the house. Stack this wood at least 20 feet away from the house to be safe.
It’s extremely easy for your home to fall victim to a pest infestation during the fall — so be wise and use this guide.
When you need an infestation managed by a professional, contact Knockout Pest Control. To learn more or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (800) 249-7378.